If you haven't already noticed by the number of breakfast recipes I post, I'm a HUGE breakfast fan (but rarely have time to make anything elaborate in the morning before work). Generally I go for the savory make-ahead egg breakfasts, but recently I've been craving something a little different. That's where these little Baked Cinnamon Apple Ginger Oatmeal cups come in!
These muffin cups are a take on traditional baked oatmeal for a fun and portable breakfast or snack. They're only slightly sweet from organic Autumn Glory Apples and a little pure maple syrup. They're also a rich source of fiber for long lasting energy. Most importantly: the FLAVOR. The combination of cinnamon, ginger, apple and maple is definitely a favorite over here. I've eaten these on the go as a snack and warmed up and crumbled over greek yogurt with a hefty drizzle of peanut butter for breakfast (my personal favorite way to eat them).
Baked Cinnamon Apple Ginger Oatmeal Cups
Makes 12 oatmeal cups
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/3-1/2 cup maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like things)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 small diced Autumn Glory apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk, eggs, maple syrup, apple sauce and vanilla extract.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add apples and fold into the mixture.
- Distribute evenly into well oiled muffin tins and bake for 25-30 mins.