Sweet Potato Red Lentil Dal with Coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced small (about 1.5-2 cups)
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced (remove seeds or omit if you don't like spice)
- 3 teaspoons coriander
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 2-4 handfuls baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: cilantro and green onion for topping
Heat coconut oil over medium/high heat in large pan. Add onion and sauté until translucent (3 minutes). Add sweet potato and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
Add garlic, ginger and jalapeño and stir for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Add spices and season with salt and pepper. Stir for another minute to coat everything.
Add lentils and stir for 1-2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, coconut milk, water and another pinch of salt. Simmer with the lid cracked slightly for about 20-25 minutes (the consistency should be thick and lentils soft). Taste and add more salt to your liking.
Fold in spinach at the end and stir until wilted. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Optional: Serve over brown basmati rice or quinoa, top with cilantro and green onion.