Loaded Breakfast Bowls
There's something super satisfying about making a restaurant-worthy breakfast/brunch at home on the weekend - like these loaded breakfast bowls with sautéed veggies, crispy root veggie hash browns, eggs, avocado, herbs and cheese.
Come the end of the week, my fridge is generally looking pretty sparse AND I find myself craving an extra special breakfast (because weekends are all about big, flavorful breakfasts and fun meals am I right?!). A few things I do usually have on hand at the end of the week are leftover veggies, eggs and generally some type of herb on it's last leg. I've recently also been adoring these frozen root veggie hash browns from Dr. Praeger's - they're gluten free, made with super simple ingredients and truly take these breakfast bowls to the next level.
These loaded breakfast bowls could not be easier, and they're a great way to use up any leftover produce you might have in the fridge at the end of the week. I topped this bowl with avocado, crumbled cotija cheese, cilantro, green onion and red pepper flakes. Go crazy with toppings - the options are endless!
LOADED BREAKFAST BOWLS
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 zuchini, diced
- 1 cup sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 small white onion, diced
- 1 big handful baby spinach
- 2 packages of Dr. Praeger's root vegetable hashbrowns
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- toppings: cilantro, green onion, crumbled cotija, red pepper flakes
- Cook 4 root veggie hash browns in the oven according to package instructions
- In the meantime, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over in a pan over medium heat. Add onion, pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin and sauté until the veggies soften (about 4 minutes). Set veggies asides and wipe the pan clean with a paper towel to remove any excess liquid from veggies.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and reheat on medium heat. Crack 2 eggs into the pan and cook them to your liking. I like my eggs sunny side up, so after cracking the eggs in the pan I bring the heat to low and finish cooking that way.
- Build your bowls! Separate veggies mixture and hash browns into 2 bowls and top each with an egg.
- Add cilantro, green onion, crumbled cotija, red pepper flakes and 1/4 an avocado to each bowl.